Monday, November 17, 2014

The Work of Being Unemployed

Today is Monday.

Normally I would get up, have my coffee and check the news with special attention to the traffic news.  But since I do not have to make my hour long commute into the office I don't need to pay so much attention to Kelsey Soby on FOX 9 News anymore.

I would usually check my work e-mails from home before I left but...

So today I start the work of being unemployed.
Here is a picture of my new office.


I think I need to redecorate!

It would be very easy to busy myself with busy work at my computer or even to catch up on the pro-life news nationally and locally - but that is not my job any more.  My first job now is to keep my commitment to take 10 - that is take 10 minutes of prayer. Changing habits and slowing down is hard.  All I could think of was the work I needed to get done:.
Their is:

  1. Applying for unemployment.
  2. Check my e-mail.
  3. Updating my resume.
  4. Check my facebook.
  5. Looking at insurance options. 
  6. Check my Linkedin.
  7. Updating my e-mail contact information to my home e-mail on my social media.
  8. Check my e-mail again. 
  9. Trying to figure out how to get my new contact info to friends and colleagues who only have my old work e-mail that I have no access to. 
  10. Connecting with friends and colleagues to give them my new information.
  11. Looking at the family budget.
  12. ............
In addition I have already outlined my next 4 blog posts!

These are all good things....but back to that 10 minutes of prayer.  In a very practical way I need to make sure I spend 10 minutes a day in prayer, but it is difficult...so much so that I had to set the timer in my kitchen to 10 minutes and make sure I stayed with my bible until it beeped.  
Our first work is prayer.  I will need God to guide me in the next few weeks and months (well all of my life really) and I need to take the time to listen to Him first. 

Then I went to have lunch with a friend. 

No comments:

Post a Comment