Sunday, March 8, 2015

Finding my Gifts




I'm baaaaaaack!

Yes I am back on my blog after a short stint as a Middle School Religion teacher. One thing about being laid off and thrown into figuring out what is next in your life, is the chance to try new things. I took the position teaching because I wanted to see if that was what I was being called to do. I think I can say that - at this time in my life - I am NOT called to teach middle school kids.

The kids are great, the school is great but it is not the right fit. I am reminded of the saying (I can't remember where I first heard it) "You contribute to your own burnout when you do things that others are called to do."

I was definitely feeling the burnout. One example was last week when I found myself yelling at some students... "At what point did you think it was a good idea to jump over the desks?" and 'That is it! I am sending the next student who talks to detention!"

Right after this episode we opened the chapter in their books to a study on the 5th commandment and after reading a discourse on righteous anger (recounting the story of Jesus overturning the tables in the temple) we were to give examples of righteous anger. I simply said, "I don't think we need to discuss examples, I think I just gave you a demonstration!"


This has caused me to reflect on what I am called to do. When I do the things I am gifted to do I am filled with life, energy and hope. I can tell I am moving toward burnout by my overwhelming fatigue. Burnout can be defined as a loss of enthusiasm, energy, idealism, perspective, and purpose. It is a state of total exhaustion—physical, mental, and spiritual—brought on by unrelenting stress. I have learned a few things about admitting that I can't do everything. To admit that you are burned out doesn’t mean you’ve failed. It means you are discovering your gifts.

I will be leaving my position as a Middle School teacher and allowing someone else who has that gift to take my place.  In the mean time, I will spend some time and effort discovering my gifts.

Writing is one of the things that gives me life and I will start posting to this blog again or I may start a new blog as I think I have moved beyond surviving the layoff to finding my gifts.

Follow me as I take a leap of faith and see where God is taking me.

2 comments:

  1. Keep writing, Sharon! I encourage you to either rename your blog or start a new one. You are not defined by your layoff! And, you have many gifts. You know this, I am sure, and perhaps God has new gifts to open to you. Certainly opportunities will come! Blessings to you always!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Mark and congratulations on your new position at SJB!
    I plan on taking some serious time to do some writing (I have a few books rolling around in my head) but will need a paying gig by Fall!

    ReplyDelete